I turned 30 on Friday and due to the events that encaptured the weekend, it is no surprise that it was Friday the 13th. Having turned 13 on Friday the 13th I wasn't too worried or superstitious of the things that would happen to me on my 30th which was also on Friday the 13th, but I guess I should have been. I should have been warned when I cam down with the flu on Thursday, but I was feeling better by the time I woke up on Friday morning.
It was the first time I can remember when I didn't bring a birthday treat to work. I couldn't handle bringing treats when I didn't know if I would be able to eat them. But the day went well, my sister-in-law took me out for lunch, and my brother and his family came over for dinner. But when I got home I was talking with my sister-in-law that lives with us when the phone rang. It was my mother-in-law, Josh's grandma had passed away.
"Oh my God," was the only thing I could say. Josh's grandma had been living in a nursing home for some time and we have had many near misses with illnesses and various ailments, but it just didn't seem real. She had had 2/3rds of her lung removed due to Lung Cancer about 5 years ago, and was giving 6-12 months to live. So she obviously had been living on borrowed time. And she has had MANY bouts with pneumonia, and she had decided she no longer wanted to go to the hospital. If it was her time to go, she was fine with that, she wanted to stay at the home. It is strange to me that I was so shocked by the fact that she was gone, and I still am. She made it through so many times, I just assumed that this would be one of those times. But she is gone, and I am happy for her that it was on her terms, and I know she is in a better place. I am sure she is looking down on all of us now, at least when she has time between baking for Josh's grandpa and getting her new garden started :)
The next slap in the face came when we were eating dinner. My mom called to tell me my Uncle was in ICU with an infection which apparently had gone septic. His blood pressure was really low and they weren't sure of the prognosis. My uncle's son, my cousin is to get married this weekend, and they didn't know if he would be able to make it. As the weekend progressed he wasn't getting much better and the possibility of him not making the wedding was looking more like a probability. He is still in ICU and the Dr's think things are getting better but it is very slow going. My heart aches for him and the family. My aunt is torn between her son's wedding and her husband in the hospital. I am hoping and praying for the best and hope that there is good news before the wedding. Please keep them in your prayers.
So as you can see it was fitting that my 30th birthday was on Friday the 13th. I can also say that the evening ended on a good note. My aunt (my godmother) who I don't get to see much called later in the evening to wish me a happy birthday. It was a nice surprise and it really lifted my very droopy spirits :) So Thank You Joanne!
On another positive note, Hunter appears to be very excited about the potty. After going a couple times this weekend, he asked to go last night when we got back from McDonalds. My little boy is growing up right before my eyes! I can' t believe it!
Here's to hoping there is better news to come!!
Wednesday, October 18, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment