Yesterday I got a rather lengthy email from my dad (which is strange on it's own), in it he mentioned that Fritz, our dog, wasn't doing so good and he was taking him to the doctor at 3. I found it a little strange that he told me this and the time, considering I knew that there have been some problems but nothing ever really diagnosed and he always seemed to come back OK.
I had a client in town yesterday and today which means that I went to dinner after work. So at about 8:45 on my way home I thought I better call just to check in. I typically don't call that late because they have an unusually early bedtime during the week but I guess I just had to know.
Dad answered the phone and he sounded like hell. I asked if he was sleeping and he said no, I guess I knew then. He then told me that the growth they had removed from Fritz a couple of months ago grew back, it was cancerous and it had spread down his throat. Dad made the decision to put him down.
I talked to my mom and she was pretty upset but doing pretty well.
Fritz was the encore to 2 basset hounds (only 1 of which I remember). My dad said he would never have another hound dog after Pokey and you couldn't get more opposite from Pokey to Fritz. We got Fritz, a Lahso Opso, 15 years ago in May, he was about 5 months old. He was a spoiled rotten dog but cute as a button. He always had a bow in his hair and loved to go see "auntie Jan" to get groomed. He loved to travel and stay in a variety of hotels.
Early in his life we gave up on the command "Fritz Come." We instead opted for "Fritz, Stay. We'll come get you". There is some question if he was every really house broken. He never really ran away, it was more like wandering. And we didn't really have to tie the rope up to anything to get him to stay, he was so terrified of the rope he wouldn't move much. He could hang out at a fire pit with the best of them, just put him in a chair and he would sleep all night. And he barked none stop when my mom started lighting candles around the house because he knew people were coming over.
So here's to you Fritzy! Thanks for the memories!
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I'll have one for Fritz. I love love love the "Fritz, stay. we'll come get you." It's almost like having a cat! :o)
Fritz was as close to a cat as a dog can get but he had the great "dog instincts" where they know when to cuddle up because you need it. I would love to get a dog, but I think you get so much closer to a dog then a cat and I don't think I could handle having to put it down.
Sorry about Fritzy :(
And I'm kinda laughing at your comment about getting closer to a dog than a cat... only your cat :)
I am so sorry to hear about Fritz. Unfortunately they don't live forever like we want them to. It does not get any easier no matter how many pets you have had or what species they are...it sucks. The thing that has gotten me through the 2 dogs we put down last year was knowing they were going to the Rainbow Bridge; just think of Fritz as a puppy again- pain free. You are in my thoughts and if you need an ear or shoulder I got two of each.
Love, Jen
Post a Comment