Thursday, November 16, 2006

A Cowboys Fan?

Never thought I would ever cheer for a Dallas Cowboy, but I did the other night, and it paid off. I am a HUGE Dancing with the Stars fan (and a lot of other cheesy reality shows) and I was so excited to see Emmitt and Cheryl win last night! This season I have been pleasantly surprised by how likeable this Dallas Cowboy is. First Jerry Rice, who I also had memories of beating the Pack but you who you just had to love because of his smile won me over last season, and now Emmitt Smith, a Cowboy no less!

Growing up 30 miles from the football shrine that is Lambeau Field, you can't help but have "I hate the Dallas Cowboys" run through your blood. I think we recited that right after the 10 Commandments in grade school. I remember when the Packers were first making their comeback in the mid to early 90's and they would get so close, and then lose to the Cowboys, thanks to Emit and his gang.

But now it is different. Dancing with the Stars shows you people/stars whom are in front of the public regularly, taken out of their element and put in an environment where they are not comfortable. It is apparent every season that the majority of the contestants are not comfortable expressing themselves as dancers. But then as the season goes on you can see them emerge as competitive dancers.

Emmitt is one of those guys. He shows you that you can embrace something that isn't your strong suit and look graceful and have some fun doing it. I think that is even more impressive for a professional athlete. Many of these athletes are always told how good they are and can't handle it if they aren't the best one. (I don't know, T.O. seems to come to mind). I truly think the reason Emmitt won was because he always looked like he was having fun, yet he was confident.

He also made you see that it wasn't ALL that he was doing. He has a wife and a family in a different state that are more important than dancing. Mario may have been the better dancer, and possibly even Joey. But do we watch Dancing with the Stars to judge the technique? I have know idea what should be the difference from a Samba to a Ramba. We watch it, just like any other reality t.v. to try to relate with the people on it and for entertainment.

So who cares how the judges judged? Who cares that Mario might be a better technical dancer? What matters is who made you smile the most and gave you the most entertainment while watching it. And it was apparent by Mario's response when he lost (sore loser, I guess they didn't teach him how to loose on Saved by the Bell), that Emmitt was the bigger man and he deserved the trophy.

...this doesn't mean that I am ever going to cheer for the Cowboys!

1 comment:

Kari said...

This is EXACTLY what waas running through my mind..."I can't possibly cheer for a Cowboy!" but he knocked my socks off. He's charming, and cute, and he could dance. I loved his style. And I'm sad I can't see him dance anymore!