Thursday, April 03, 2008

Thanks Grandma and Grandpa

Last night we (mom, dad, me and Jacy) went out for dinner at Green Street. It is a great "supper club" in Manitowoc. A place that I have MANY memories of from my childhood. Memories such as grandma and grandpa taking me and Tracy there for our "birthday dinners", going there before a Ships football game, Grandma and Grandpa's 50th wedding anniversary, meeting everyone there after a family wake (too many then I care to count), and many other times that we just ended up there. There is rarely I time that I walk in there and not see someone I know. Even now, 10+ years removed from Manitowoc. Last night I walked in and the parents of one of the kids I went to grade school was there, my grade school basketball coach and his wife and my aunt and uncle.

The thing I remember most about Green Street is that it is the place my grandma and grandpa went to almost nightly in the prime of their retirement. They knew everyone who lived in the area and they certainly knew everyone at Green Street, owners included. Paul and Pam, the owners, are very nice people and we all know their kids names probably as well as they know ours. Paul, a tall, younger guy (at least when he bought it), is a nice guy but wasn't afraid to give my grandpa, a gruff old man, a hard time when mixing him a drink. Pam who always worked in the kitchen was always sure to come out and say hi at some point in the evening.

Last night after we had spent our time in the bar reimbursing (as grandpa would say...actually reminiscing), we went in for dinner. Well it was late and Jacy had had a long day. She played with her grandpa all afternoon and didn't sleep a whole lot. So of course, true to form, as we go in to eat, she really needs to be sleeping and didn't really want to oblige our hunger. After our food arrived I was trying to console her so I got up and I was going to try to walk around the bar, when Pam came out and said "Let me babysit. I'll take her for a walk. You go eat!" And so she did. I got to enjoy dinner with mom and dad and Pam showed Jacy off to the entire place. Jacy was loving the attention.

There are very few places in this world that something like this could take place. Last night when I was leaving I couldn't help but think, "Thanks Grandma and Grandpa, without you this wouldn't have been possible." I think it is a tribute to my grandma and grandpa and the legacies that they left behind. I hope they realized how much they were loved while they were here, and how much the are missed now!


"...My friends and all yous other guys!"

1 comment:

Kari said...

You're very lucky! That's a very sweet story.

I don't think I'll ever hit Red Robin and have someone I trust offer to watch my son while I eat!