Obviously, weighing on all of our minds today, is where were you 5 years ago...mine too! Which then reminds me of the saying that came out of that terrible day...Never forget. I like that those words were chosen and not a day to remember. To me a day to remember means memories. And to me memories have a positive connotation. To never forget means that something substantial has happened that shouldn't be forgotten. Notice how "A day that will live in infamy" is remembered for Pearl Harbor...another terrible day in US history? It is obvious that we all have memories of those terrible days if we have lived through them, but it is more then memories that are important. It is important to remember how we felt when those things were happening to us; how those events changed the direction of our lives or how they effected our actions and reactions and also to remember those people who died that day and those who are serving in the various services to protect us right now.
It is like therapy to hear where people were that day, what they were doing when they heard the news and their initial reaction. It is amazing how many people didn't think much of it when the first tower was hit, but I bet that would not be the reaction if that was to happen tomorrow. My personal experience was one of disbelief and ignorance.
I happened to be in Carlisle PA that week for work. I flew out of Madison on Monday, September 10th and picked up my rental car from Hertz. Our conference had just started Tuesday morning, and we were at the "Welcome" presentation by the president of the company when his secretary interrupted and said that one of the World Trade Center towers was struck by a commercial jet. Being that I was at a conference with utility people, on the east coast, some people excused themselves from the conference to check in with employers and responders. The "Welcome" then concluded and they had set up some TVs for us outside to see what was happening. At this time the second tower was hit, and shortly after the Pentagon, and the plane in PA. At this time MANY people excused themselves to not only call employers but family members and friends that may have been in the area. Many people not only had to call but many needed to leave either to report to work on the cleanup or as first responders.
My thoughts at the time; well I didn't know much about New York and if you asked me September 10, 2001 what the World Trade Center was, I don't know if I could have given you an intelligent answer. I am not very geographically or historically savvy, so I had no idea the magnitude of what was happening...until I saw people jumping from the buildings, and the plane went down in PA. Then it began to hit home, hard. Now I was a little freaked out, not only did a plane go down in the same STATE as me, which wasn't real far away, but I was also located about 30 miles from Three Mile Island, the largest nuclear facility in the US. That was PLENTY close for me. And I had to get back to WI SOMEHOW!!!
At home, Josh knew I was in PA, but not exactly sure where. My mom and dad thought I was going to PA the NEXT week, so they didn't think anything of it until Diana and my cousin Tracy called my dad to find out where in PA I was. My dad then in turn called my mom, who called my office, knowing that I keep message up to date (and it said that I left on the 10th). So she breathed a sigh of relief. I talked to Josh and my dad later that afternoon. Josh was noticeably shook which I think helped me, for what reason I am not sure. Of course when I heard my dad's voice, I had instant tears...Dad's do that!
The conference went on as planned. Realizing that I had to drive back, and luckily I had a Hertz car and I could drive it to wherever I needed, I wouldn't let myself watch much coverage of the rescue/recovery coverage. Advantica did a wonderful job keeping us occupied. We went to Hersey on Wednesday and it was so surreal, everyone we saw it was like we were best friends not strangers. Everyone sharing stories of why they were there and what they had done the day before. I drove back to WI with a guy, Brian Hayse, I met at the conference from Holland Michigan. I then drove the remainder by myself. I think that was the fastest 18 hour drive I ever had!!!
I got home and Josh wasn't home from school yet, I walked into the apartment and bawled. I was so happy to be home and I couldn't contain myself anymore. Josh came home from work and we were very happy to see eachother. We went out for dinner and took the rental car back on Saturday morning. It really was a week I won't forget.
Good out of bad??? The famous saying that good comes out of every bad event came true for Josh and I. I think the separation during a time like this really helped both of us realize how important the other was to us. The much debated conversation of marriage was settled when 11 days later Josh proposed.
9/11 will never be forgotten in my mind.
Monday, September 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Good out of bad? I think that's one of the best ways to get through this particular day.
Remembering that Americans came together as a country 5 years ago, and never forgetting what happened to cause that event.
We're glad you made it back safe and sound and that Josh finally woke up. :-)
I'm sitting at my desk crying. It's a good thing I don't share my office. It was a terrible day for all of us. I was at Wilson screening when it happened and as I can do I stayed very focused on what I was doing probably for the sake of the kids at Wilson. Chuck was home that day so when I finished I stopped at home and had a good cry in Chuck's arms.
Post a Comment